2.23.2004

Pro #453 of owning your own business: You can slack and there isn't anyone to yell at you for it.

Con #4642 of owning your own business: If you slack, there is nobody else to blame when the work doesn't get done. Other then the work gnomes, who don't look kindly upon being blamed for your laziness and will bowstring you in your sleep for it.

Today I managed to both thwart and land myself in the middle of, a major business problem. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with having to field all the problems on my own. Normal businesses have staff, staff who are paid highly to deal with all the crud that the stuffed shirts don't want to deal with. Where is my highly paid staff? Where is my assistant bringing me non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiris and rubbing my feet? Where I ask you? Where?

Now, don't get me wrong, there are a couple of really great guys who have taken the time out of their day to sit with me while I'm gnashing my teeth and poking myself in the eye with thumbtacks to justify the tears and have helped me solve more then one problem. I appriciate the fact that they help me, and they do help me alot at times.

I adore them. No, I love them even. I want to marry them and have their little scary-smart children and sell them on the black market for disgusting amounts of money, and hire a staff. These sweet guys, unfortunately, don't work for me and can't keep suggesting things for me to try (after I've tried everything I know, of course) for much longer before they figure out I've got the three or four of them, and form a lynch mob. In some country, somewhere, I think what I'm doing is a form of tech-adultery.

Hopefully today marks the strangled gasping death of any more major technical problems. Once in a while (IE: every seven to ten years, please) is amusing and challenging, once a week is starting to bring back the tick that years of seeing Doctor Vacalavakia eliminated.

Tomorrow I have a full day of meetings. Meeting at a school, meeting at a bank, an appointment in hell (read: DMV), and a second meeting at my college, in which I'm going to ask slightly dense and annoying questions about dual enrollment. It sounds like fun.

But, until then, I'm avoiding work like a good little slacker. I avoided one major problem, and am taking the credit for fixing the other, even when I know it fixed itself all by itself. So, I think I deserve a good few minute break. I even flitched this from Fred's blog in a vain and slightly pathetic attempt to avoid having to edit that course that's sitting open behind the 'create a new post' page.

All questions refer to your situation right here, right now. Please answer accordingly.

The time is: 1:54 PM PST

I have been up for: Nearly ten hours.

I smell of: Raspberry shampoo

My hair is: Curly

My shoes are: In my bedroom

My bed is: Also in my bedroom and made, because a made bed is a happy bed.

The nearest person to me is: Robin

The nearest object to me is: My water

That annoying sound I can hear is: The radio, but I find it more soothing then annoying.

I: wish these surveys weren't so darn tempting. It's back to work for me now.

No comments: