1.03.2003

I've noticed alot of talk shows are bringing up the old topic of Ritlan again and again. They cover topics everyones heard of, should they take it, what are the risks, too much pressure from schools and teachers and therapists to take it, medicating kids is bad, ect. One topic they haven't really touched on, that I find to be one that perhaps medical professionals and people should pay attention to, is adults abusing their childs prescriptions.


I've heard more and more in the last year grapevine stories of parents O.Ding after taking their childs medications. (An example being one of my Mom's ex's friend who was taking his daughters prescription and died from it. Her ex then proceeded to round-about accuse her of taking my brothers prescription. I have to say, Mom wasn't too thrilled with that one.) A few times I have heard this mentioned on talk shows as 'one reason not to medicate your child, they might die', but never telling people it was because of illegal abuse of substances.


This drug, like every other drug, has adverse affects on users who shouldn't be using it or don't need it. Most doctors (if they know what their doing) when, after prescribing the drug, make the person who needs it come back once a week for anywhere up to six months to moniter that it dosen't build in their system. This is also why the drug starts off gradually before building up to the dosage the person needs. (Some types may work differently, but this is what I've had experiance with. And no, I don't take it.) If you aren't supposed to be taking it, like all drugs, you shouldn't take it (you scum). And if you're taking it illegally, you most likely will get very sick because I'm willing to bet you're taking the max dosage every chance you get, which is one huge reason why people die from this stuff.



Incase you're wondering my views on medicating, I think every case is different and things should be viewed on a case to case basis. I think that there is far too much pressure and threats from schools, doctors and state agencies (witnessing a slue of it myself) and too much crap from other people who's negitive opinions aren't needed. I think that they all need to back off and leave it between the parent, child, and the childs doctor. I think that it should be used as a tool to help people get back to where they need to be, not as a fix. I think it's greatly abused by the medical community, and in most cases isn't whats needed for the child. But it does work, when it's needed.

No comments: