3.02.2004

I have infiltrated the enemy and reclaimed the lily bed as my own.

This, is the yard where I'm living. Pretty yes? Although you can't see it in the picture because of the dang Dahlias (not that I dislike them, mind you) this is where the lily bed is.

The lilies are mine.

I've bought them for the last eight years or so and I've been planting them in that bed since my ex-land lady forbid me from having flowerbeds. I love lilies, they are my absolute favorite. I get them from the Lily Lady, I don't know her real name or the name of her business, which is pathetic, but I do know that the last two years hers was spot 32 at the Farmers Market and all she sells is lilies. Fresh cut ones, and bulbs. It's the bulbs I buy.

I've got about nine kinds right now. Over the last couple years they've spread, so I've had to put them in different places in the yard. This is alright though, because sooner or later they'll take over the other plants that are far too comfortable in the beds. Like the Dahlia, or the roses (who needs thirty rose bushes?) or the dozen kinds of lavender that are everywhere, even in the vegetable garden.

Spring is coming though, you can tell because the crocuses are up and bees are back humming around the daffodils. So, starting next Saturday I shall be happily weeding in my lily bed, and making room in other peoples beds, so that the lilies can overtake the yard.

No comments: