4.22.2004

I love building 4. I don't even have any classes there and I still love it. I've never seen it from the downstairs, only from the upstairs. All major buildings on campus are connected by skywalks, so instead of walking up and down a dozen flights of stairs every time I'm there, I just walk around on the second floor from building to building.

4 smells like coffee.

I don't even drink coffee, but I find the smell comforting. Especially when it's pouring down rain outside and I'm rushing from one lab to the next. Right below the walkway is a coffee cart. I wish they'd pipe it into all my classrooms so I can smell it all day long.

6's walkways are all outside. It's where all the science labs are. Most of the time it's completely deserted and kind of spooky with it's huge tower like enclosed staircases that go down to the first floor. It has some cool outside tables though, that would be nifty to study at if it wasn't raining.

9 is the library, it has this funky brass statue of some guy running away with an armfuls of books dropping them here and there right outside it's glass doors. I'm not sure if this is some literary reference I'm not getting, or if they're trying to promote book theft.

7 is where my NAS class is, it's the Phys Ed building and it doesn't have a skywalk connecting it to anything, although it does have a covered area that connects the ground walkway from building 6 to building 7. I've often thought about jumping the wall and getting to 7 that way, but there isn't really a way down unless I want to learn how to slide down drainpipes.

2 and 1 have these wicked enclosed glass ones that you can sit and stare outside while you pretend to do your math homework. I don't know this from experience of course, I'm just sure you could do it if the mood struck.

There are other ones, but I don't really go in them since they can sometimes get you all turned around and because I don't have any classes in or near those buildings. Maybe one of these days I'll go early and just wander around the skywalks.

Sometimes they're full of people, all hunched over books and I feel like I'm breaking some silence only rule when I walk on the thing that makes the automatic doors swoosh open. Sometimes they're completely empty. I like it when they're empty. I really like it first thing in the morning when they're all empty. I don't know why, I just do. But I still like 4 the best.

No comments: