4.08.2004

So today while running my errands that I was doing with Robin, she ran into a local consignment store whose owners we know. She came back out and said that they were having problems with their computer, could I come in and look at it?

Sure, I say.

So I go in, and they were having a problem with their system where they log payments and items and all that stuff. A program from 1995 that runs in DOS that I've never even heard of. It wouldn't go past the title screen and popped up an error. Ok, I say, and go through the basics. When did it start, what were you doing when it started, did you call tech support? They answered all the questions (with a 'tech support won't even talk to anyone who runs the DOS version' because tech support on a whole, are by nature, asses).

So I start looking at it, and notice they have a backup file from two months ago, so I make copies of the normal program and the backup, and by that time I had to run off to class (canceled again, by the way) and go to a meeting. So I come back about 4, and starting copying files over one by one to find the file that had the error (this is after reading the manual twice and all sorts of crap). Eventually I found them, and copied the old ones to the new program and thank Jebus it booted and ran normally.

....oy. I was SO glad I got it working, since I had never even seen the program before I was extremely worried I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it and wouldn't be able to. (I didn't have a clue, I just did what I always do when something breaks, make copies of everything and find the file that cause the error)

I got freaking lucky. I also made a quick hundred bucks and got hired as the backup tech support for the store.

lol. Fun stuff. I think that was my tech support for the year though, I certainly couldn't do this every day as a profession.

No comments: