5.23.2004

I have to write two essays for my application for TRiO (the one I didn't send for, but they sent to me.) I think it's a good opportunity, but I just don't know what to say.

TRiO if you don't know, is a program that assists low-income first generation college students. Which would be me, because lord knows I make no money, and my mom never finished college (although she is going back).

However, they're very adamant about wanting to help students who seem to come more from 'project' or 'gang' type lifestyles then a person like me, who doesn't do any sort of drugs or drink, doesn't have children, and is self starting enough to create my own business. (IE: capable of finishing my degree on my own, in the systems eyes)

Actually, what interests me the most about the program is they assist you in setting up all the stuff for your transfer on a more personal basis then you'd get with just a general guidance person from the college. That in itself is worth applying for, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and the help would be nice.

Anyway, the essays need to be two pages long each, the first needs to be on what I think will be the toughest part of finishing my degree, and the other is on how I feel about my ability to finish. I can do both fine, I think. That is, I don't really have anything other then finances keeping me from going to school, and nothing keeping me from finishing. Both of which could potentially paint me as a huge egomaniac. I am, of course, but I don't want anyone who can help me get a scholarship to know that.

Anyway, they're all do in by the 28th, so I should get them done, since punctuality makes a good impression. Or, will make me look like a buttkisser. Either way, works for me.

No comments: