9.25.2004

Measure 36 has been getting quite a bit of exposure these days. For those of you who don't know, Measure 36 will:

"Mend Constitution: Only marriage between one man and woman is valid or legally recognized as a marriage."

There are signs here and there (but not really a whole lot, got to love Oregon and it's big ole tree hugging liberal populous!) and they are running a couple commercials. It's the one commercial that totally disgusts me.

They show this large ethnic family having a family reunion. The voice over guy tells you all about how every year they get together for their grandparents anniversary and celebrate their family and heritage. He tells you there are children, grandchildren, and now greatgrandchildren. It shows happy people eating cake and dancing, and then it flashes their 'One Man One Woman' slogan and says something along the lines of 'that's the way family is supposed to be' or some such nonsense.

Wow. Really?

So, you're telling me in that large group of actors, there isn't one of you that know of, or aren't a homosexual? I don't buy it. I'm willing to bet my left arm that one of those actors is related to a gay person. So, this means one of two things:

1) You're related to a homosexual and accept and love them. You want them to be happy and have all the rights you, as a heterosexual, have. Because that's what family is supposed to be, right? Supportive and loving. This means that you're are a hypocrite, and have disrespected your family and that relative by doing this commercial.

Or

2) You have shunned or pretended not to notice this relative, you've discriminated against them, and are denying them something that you have absolutely no right to have a say in. By doing so, you have completely dishonored the true meaning of 'family'. This also means you're a hypocrite by doing this commercial.

Gee. What choices. The commercial doesn't build a valid argument in my eyes. Why? Because they can't give me one good, real reason as to why two guys or two girls can't get married. I don't buy any of this 'it's against my beliefs' or 'it'll ruin marrage' crap. Because all it is, is that, crap.

In case you can't tell, I'll be voting no.

HotD:


Owwie, sinuses.
I think I'll go back to bed,
and whine a little.


Posts until IBOM's 1000th post: 10

No comments: